- Too many anchor text links.
- Not enough semantic keyword anchor text links.
- You don’t have enough junk anchors.
- Not enough brand mention within text links.
- Not enough social signals.
- Buying links
- Exchanging links on a mass scale.
- Linking to sites with bad reputation.
- Buying/selling links.
- Getting no-follow links.
- Backlink from only high PR domains (low PR).
- Getting backlinks from irrelevant niche sites.
- Links without your Targeted keywords in Anchor text.
- Tons of link building in short span.
- Avoid site wide link.
- Trying to build links to thin and worthless content.
- Writing poor quality guest posts only to get backlinks.
- Limiting your guest blogging efforts to the top-tier sites.
- Hiring the same guest blogger to build all your links.
- Wasting hard-earned backlinks because of poor internal linking.
- Connecting with other marketers only when you need them.
- Using the same outreach email everyone else uses.
- Automatically generating thousands of links to your site.
- Not using the “no-follow” tag for sponsored links.
- Not keeping a natural mix of do-follow and no-follow backlinks.
- Link spamming on forums and blog comments.
- Using the same over-optimized anchor text all the time.
- Getting backlinks from sites with no editorial control.
- Associating with poor sites that are in bad company.
- Building links from sites with excessive outgoing links.
- Linking from sites that have nothing to do with your niche.
- Participating in link exchange programs.
- Using risky link building techniques like scholarships and PBNs.
- Not using alt-text in image links.
- Building links only to your site’s homepage.
- Getting sitewide and footer backlinks to your site.
- Building backlinks from article/web directories and bookmarking sites.
- Change your mindset to avoid all link building mistakes.
Search Engine Journal